... Provoked to thought, once again, by the words of a wise, humble, funny and complex man... John Lynch... His post today (and the huge comment thread it prompted) brought together some thoughts/emotions swirling through my brain of late.... His FB post today...
"Here's my dilemma: It has happened to me at least a dozen times in the last week, just as in the weeks before. I'll read some spiteful, cynical, angry, cliched political rant, or a reposting of someone else's spiteful, cynical, angry, cliched political rant, and I'm ready to delete them as a Facebook friend. I do it all the time. I'd rather read posts on Peru's historic relationship with baking soda...
It all causes me to lose too much hope for the advancement of the the Gospel's life-giving beauty in this season of history...But just as I'm ready to hit the friend delete button, I look at the person's name and think, "Hey, wait. I really like that person. I don't want to lose that person on here!" It will never cease to baffle me how someone can hold a life-giving understanding of God's goodness, love and grace and simultaneously spew contemptous hatred over a political system they disagree with. I understand most of the arguments..."If this person is elected, the supreme court will..." or "next thing you know, we'll be selling our children to the Lithuanians...Don't tell me it can't happen." Look folks, we survived Warren G. Harding. Maybe God is really sovereign and powerful and stuff and He can really handle it if a person is elected who we might think doesn't fit all the perameters of our particular epistemology. We're not a theocracy. Maybe, just maybe, a personal conviction of political rightness does not excuse a spirit of ugly vilifying of another. Its great for all of us to stand for the values we care about and be broken hearted for what we see that hurts the heart of God. But have you ever considered that we become one of those things God gets broken-hearted over when our hearts grow cold or ugly? ...(Hello. I'm John Lynch, and I agree with what I've written above. Even though I have been known to spew a similar cynicism and ugliness, just in different arenas. I like to reserve my contempt for those who disagree with my theological convictions) :) "
The thread of comments were diverse, funny, wise... Unity of thought was NOT the point... Respectful sharing is what happened... LOVE that... But brought home the times I've worried that I was "defriended" because I offended with my passion for news and politics... May it not be so... (Although I do get that it may be that I was just too weird)....
It all causes me to lose too much hope for the advancement of the the Gospel's life-giving beauty in this season of history...But just as I'm ready to hit the friend delete button, I look at the person's name and think, "Hey, wait. I really like that person. I don't want to lose that person on here!" It will never cease to baffle me how someone can hold a life-giving understanding of God's goodness, love and grace and simultaneously spew contemptous hatred over a political system they disagree with. I understand most of the arguments..."If this person is elected, the supreme court will..." or "next thing you know, we'll be selling our children to the Lithuanians...Don't tell me it can't happen." Look folks, we survived Warren G. Harding. Maybe God is really sovereign and powerful and stuff and He can really handle it if a person is elected who we might think doesn't fit all the perameters of our particular epistemology. We're not a theocracy. Maybe, just maybe, a personal conviction of political rightness does not excuse a spirit of ugly vilifying of another. Its great for all of us to stand for the values we care about and be broken hearted for what we see that hurts the heart of God. But have you ever considered that we become one of those things God gets broken-hearted over when our hearts grow cold or ugly? ...(Hello. I'm John Lynch, and I agree with what I've written above. Even though I have been known to spew a similar cynicism and ugliness, just in different arenas. I like to reserve my contempt for those who disagree with my theological convictions) :) "
The thread of comments were diverse, funny, wise... Unity of thought was NOT the point... Respectful sharing is what happened... LOVE that... But brought home the times I've worried that I was "defriended" because I offended with my passion for news and politics... May it not be so... (Although I do get that it may be that I was just too weird)....
Then I saw the comic strip my husband gave me to read with a characteristic dry chuckle.. (He is my "Come back to earth, don't get lost in the clouds" gift from God..Love and need him so much!)... It is clipped and posted on our refrigerator... And I just had to laugh... God is in HIS heaven, It is well with my soul...


No comments:
Post a Comment